10 September 2009

SO much to take in!

As time here is wrapping up, I'm overwhelmed with all that I have learned! I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to be taught such valuable lessons by some of the wisest and most experienced leaders in their fields. I am especially thankful for the week we focused on safety overseas. As the reality of moving alone to a third world country inches closer, I have at times allowed anxiety to take root in my heart and mind. I am so encouraged by the consistent reminder that God has called me not to a place or even to a people, but to himself. Whatever is in store over the next two years and beyond that, I will never be out of His view, and certainly never out of his grasp. Those who delivered these valuable lessons, were a blessing, and are very much appreciated!

Something else the Lord has shown me is just how quick I am to forget that intimacy with Him is actually what I'm striving for. I get tunnel vision about what spiritual disciplines I must focus on in order to improve, or strip sin away from myself. While those tangible tasks of the faith are certainly necessary if I'm going to walk with the Lord, they are not actually the goal. As usual I was slapped around and then picked right back up by a passage just this week. In Hosea, chapter 2, the Lord talks about Israel as if they are the adulteress wife. He so beautifully illustrates his undying love for his people, for me; as he talks of alluring her back to himself with tender words and promises of redemption and restoration. I believe I am most moved by verses 17 and 19 "I will remove the names of the Baals from her lips; no longer will their names be invoked. I will betroth you to me forever; I will betroth you in righteousness and justice, in love and compassion". He is an Almighty God, he doesn't have to wait around for her to prioritize her day or remember to set aside time to fast and pray and work futilely to avoid sin. He chases her and removes the desire she has for sin, because what he desires is not her empty actions, but her commitment and affection; he desires her heart.

What a beautiful God we serve! He is the only one who sees the deepest recesses of our adulteress hearts, and he loves us. He not only awaits our return, he often arranges it.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE YOU! Love that I'm finally hearing from you and seeing some action on this blog!

    Well my bad news is that my hard drive crashed on my lap top, so I have not been able to talk to you for a while! UGH!

    When are you done there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, you are amazaing. This excerpt of your feelings just warms my heart! I know God is gonna use you for some amazingly awesome things! It's awesome to hear about what God is doing in your life even as you are in VA, and will be in Brazil soonosh. Don't be hesitant to let me know if you need anything- whether it be a fun gift basket from home, words of encouragement, or just to pray the journey you have before. I love you Ms. Rome, Georgia Beauty Queen of 2001!

    ReplyDelete