06 March 2010

my life as jerry maguire


"Have you ever gotten the feeling that you aren't completely embarrassed yet, but you glimpse tomorrow's embarrassment?" - Jerry Maguire


For example, what I count as a major victory ie: conveying to the Pharmacy dude that I need rubbing alcohol for cleaning is immediately squashed by a Brazilian friend who says I don't speak portuguese very well.


Well of course I don't. I'm an American whose been living in Brazil for 5 weeks.


The "ups" are brief, because a "down" is just around the corner!


Lately I've been relating to Jerry Maguire (yes, the emotional train wreck of a sports agent) in a very big and sometimes surreal way. If you follow my almost handicapped analogy; I am Jerry, fully committed to my one and only concern: Rod Tidwell/portuguese. Their relationship is largely based on Jerry's often unsuccessful attempts to understand and promote Rod.


I'm only trying to promote portuguese to myself, trying to convince me that it is a cool language, I really do like it, and it is a hurdle I can master.


I mean, if I had a t-shirt that read: "I am out here for you (portuguese!) You don't know what it's like to be ME out here for YOU. It is an up-at-dawn, pride swallowing siege that I will never fully tell you about, OK?" I would for sure be wearing it every day!

Again, allow me to make two disclaimers...

A) I know this will get easier and I'll be all kinds of frustrated (again) when I return to the US and never hear portugese
2) No, Jerry Maguire is not the most "family friendly" film, in the event that you haven't seen it and are now considering this a recommendation


1 comment:

  1. disclaimers duly noted :) hope you have a great portuguese speaking day. love you.

    ReplyDelete